The Shipping activity of Elbana di Navigazione has found its origin in the setting up of the “Freschi” Shipping Agency in Piombino by Mr. Alessandro Freschi around 1945.
Soon after the end of World War II, he became the owner of the M/V “Apuano”, a wooden motorsailer, with a DW of approximately 150 Mtons, employed to transport general cargoes between the mainland and the Italian islands.
In 1971 Mr. Freschi founded the company Elbana di Navigazione and, in the same year, he purchased a dry cargo vessel with a DWT of 4500 Mtons and another two small ships employed for carrying steel products for the national industry. Unfortunately, the drastic drop in the demand of steel products in the national market determined the consequent reduction of the ships’ employment.
In 1978, the first oil-chemical vessel with a DW of 1650 Mtons was bought and the company decided to dedicate itself only to the oil-chemical field, using its own or T/C vessels and leaving behind the dry cargo transports.
In 2001 our company built the first two oil-chemical tankers in its history, breaking with the past and therefore marking a clear change in its policy’s route.